- Education: Demolition of Pepperell Middle School underway. New gym at Armuchee High School taking shape, slated to open in December. Education
- The first Executive Director of Rome Tennis Center at Berry resigns after three years on job. Daglis
- Amid the added signage along Broad Street: A new alert system now being tested to let motorists know pedestrians are in crosswalks. Downtown
- Floyd County Jail inmate dies; GBI to investigate 30-year-old’s cause of death (standard procedure). Inmate
- Business: Georgia Power files request to increase customer rates by 7% next year to enable investments for state’s energy future. Business
- Hufstetler named chair of Senate study committee on Evaluating and Simplifying Physician Oversight of Physician Assistants and Advanced Practice Registered Nurses. Hufstetler
- Weekend! presented by The Forum River Center: Balloon festival at the airport (see traffic note). Final weekend of Fantasticks. Today: The Warriors of AniKituhwa perform. Plus: Outdoors. Weekend
- Independence Day: Four celebrations today in Cave Spring, Lindale, Adairsville and Summerville. July 3: Coke, Parks & Rec fire up the holiday at Ridge Ferry. Independence Day: Cave Spring, Cartersville, Rome Braves. Also: Podcast on Cave Spring parade. Independence Day
- Buzz: Cedartown 5K Road Race is Tuesday. Floyd Democrats offer free cookout Independence Day. Free legal help July 12. Coding grants for Calhoun, Gordon schools. Buzz
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: 90-plus degrees all weekend, 20-30% rain chance, scattered thunderstorms possible. Forecast
- Obituaries: Mr. Otis Daniel, Ms. Debbie Aleen Hamilton, Mr. Forrest Watkins and Mrs. Ella Rose Wilcox. Obituaries
- Public Health restaurant inspection scores. Dining
- Greater Community Bank CrimeWatch: Updates on area arrests, police reports from across Northwest Georgia. Crimewatch
- Hardy Realty’s open house gallery for Sunday: Your first look at a real Southern charmer in Euharlee for $296,900. Open House
Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports Report: Sports
Rome Braves come back to top Greenville, 4-3. Rematch tonight at 7:05 p.m. in Greenville.
Braves roster moves: RHP Kasey Kalich has been transferred from the GCL Braves to the Rome Braves. RHP Victor Vodnik has been placed on the injured list.
Links to fall football:
-Corky Kell Classic returns to Barron Stadium on Aug. 22.
-High school schedules.
-Local colleges; UGA and Tech.
Hometown Headlines daily podcast
Looking for a free, easy and unfiltered way to get your broadcast news when you want it? Let us help you “cut the antenna.” Join us for the Hometown Headlines Daily Podcast, weekdays posting between 7 and 8 a.m. and lasting around eight minutes. To listen, simply click HHPodcast.
Each episode features “the fastest 90 seconds of news in the nation,” local sports and weather, Peak & Valleys (the highs and lows of Northwest Georgia), what’s on the day’s news radar (ahead of the headlines) plus some rants, weekday observations and Hometown Heroes.
We’ll even text you when the podcasts are hot and ready: please type HHpodcasts and text 313131.
How about more depth on today’s issues and community updates? Longer form podcasts are here. You’ll find our first one, “Downtown Parking: Problems and Promise,” by clicking Parking.
To advertise on the podcasts: