Our call to the Gainesville, Ga., home of Bucket o’ Shrimp on Wednesday afternoon was greeted professionally. She quickly answered that she was a manager when we asked to talk to someone in charge.
So our question: “Any idea when you’ll open the Rome store?”
Her answer: “Soon … by the end of the summer.”
Our reply: “Great. We’re getting a lot of questions about it, especially as someone spotted a Coke truck there this week and …”
Her answer: “Oh we’ve received about 100 calls already . . .”
Officially, the long-awaited restaurant (they were posting on Facebook around New Year’s) at 1517 Dean Ave. has seen a few crews on property in recent days. However, per City Clerk Joe Smith, no one has pulled a business license just yet — at least as of Wednesday afternoon.
What is new: We stopped by just before noon Wednesday to basically stalk whomever was there. No one. However, a look through the windows showed more work had been under way on the counter area and the floor. Also we spotted a menu in the window and took a very lousy picture below. Be ready to bring a few coins when Bucket o Shrimp opens because the prices might surprise you. What’s on that menu:
- Pirate Grub features seven shrimp fried or grilled with hush puppies, a regular side and drink for $7.99. The 20-shrimp order: $21.99.
- A stick of fried lobster: $13.99.
- Po’ boys from $8.75 to $12.49 (latter with sides, former is entree only).
- Shrimp and crab bucket with two crab leg clusters, shrimp, corn, potatoes and sausage, $25 (no sides — thankfully).
- Sides of cole slaw, crinkle cut fries, sweet potato fries and hush puppies, $1.99 each. Premium sides $3.99 to $4.99.
Once open, look for hours of 11 a..m until 7 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, until 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and noon until 5 p.m. Closed Monday and Tuesday.