Education: Darlington’s Alexander Greene selected to represent state at journalism conference. Berry College student selected for medical school.

Darlington School’s Alexander Greene (‘20) has been selected to represent the state of Georgia at the 2019 Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference, June 14 – 20, 2019. The annual conference program targets rising high school seniors who are interested in pursuing a career in journalism and who demonstrate qualities of “free spirit.”

Deeply involved in student publications, Greene serves as the managing editor of the Darlingtonian, business manager for the Jabberwokk yearbook, and editor-in-chief of the Inkslinger literary magazine. He has also served as a marketing intern for the Darlington Communication Office and participated in Align Design, a workshop series geared towards area high school students interested in graphic design (sponsored by the Rome Area Council for the Arts, V3 Magazine, and Darlington).

Greene will join 50 rising high school seniors from each state of the country to experience an extraordinary five-day all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C. where they will attend sessions with media professionals, news executives and prominent free spirits. He will also have the opportunity to visit some of the most important sites in Washington, D.C. and will receive a $1,000 college scholarship paid to the college of his choice.

The Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference was created to honor Al Neuharth, founder of USA TODAY, the Freedom Forum and the Newseum, for his long and distinguished career in journalism and his free spirit. The conference will take place at the Newseum, which is dedicated to free expression and the five freedoms of the First Amendment.

Lawson

Berry College Junior Bailey Lawson will pursue his dream of working in the medical field at Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine at Auburn University when he graduates from Berry College in May 2020.

Lawson, a biochemistry major with a minor in One Health, has had his sights set on a medical career since high school. He is the first junior at Berry to be accepted into the program. Lawson was able to apply with the help of his pre-health advisor, Clinical Assistant Professor of Health Professions Christopher Mingone, and Berry’s partnership with Via College of Osteopathic Medicine. Berry also helped him to gain hands-on experience through shadowing opportunities suggested by Mingone and senior pre-med students already involved in the community.

Share Button

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.