With a scratchboard art entry, entitled Moo’ving On, Armuchee senior Harper Buffington captures the Best of Show title and a $1,000 educational scholarship in the Art Showcase hosted by the Kiwanis Club of Rome.
Taking the second and third scholarship spots were Model sophomore Alexis Peed and Pepperell sophomore Jaiden Mickley. Winners of Kiwanis’ Art Showcase were announced during a reception for students, their families and art teachers held at the Rome-Floyd County Library.
First, second and third place winners were named for each grade and are listed in that order below:
- 6th grade: Christanna Schwartz, Billie McClanahan and Autumn Smith (all East Central).
- 9th grade: Kelsie Burkett (Armuchee), Ambria Ludwig (Model) and Kyndal Talton (Model). Molley Maddox (Model) received an Honorable Mention.
- 10th grade: Alexis Peed (Model), Jaiden Mickley (Pepperell) and Jewell Sweat (Model). Bella McCauley (Pepperell) received an Honorable Mention.
- 11th grade: Allison Jackson (Armuchee), Noah Voils (Model), Morgan Davis (Pepperell). Marli Clouatre (Pepperell) received an Honorable Mention.
- 12th grade: Harper Buffington (Armuchee), Harmony Knight (Pepperell), and Madison Taylor (Model). Ashtyn Smith (Model) received an Honorable Mention.
Entries for the Art Showcase will remain on display in the library through April 12. First-place winners and Best of Show winner will compete for awards or educational scholarships in Leesburg on April 27.
The Rome Symphony Orchestra announces the winners of the 2019 Barbara L. Beninato Young Artist Award Competition. For the ninth consecutive year, the competition was held at Berry College and was sponsored in part by the RSO Education Outreach Committee. Musicians throughout the state, ages 16-25, were eligible to compete in piano, voice, and instrumental. They must be enrolled as a Music Major in a college or university program or study with a Private Applied instructor. The winners:
First Place Instrumental – Leif Atchley, a Senior at Berry College; Arutiunian Trumpet Concerto
Second Place Instrumental – Richard Yubin Lee, a Senior at Northview High School; Violin Concerto in B minor by Paganini
First Place Vocal – Victoria Hill, a Junior at Reinhardt University; The Jewel Song from Faust
Second Place Vocal – Elizabeth Strickland, a Sophomore at Wesleyan College; Villanelle by Dell Acqua
The winners will perform Saturday, April 27, at 7:30 p.m. as soloists with the RSO and Maestro Jeffrey Sean Dokken, Conductor, at Rome City Auditorium. Tickets can be purchased at romesymphony.org or by calling 706-291-7967. Tickets are $6, $7, $12 and $22 (children to adult).