Media release: The Junior Service League of Rome is a committed group of women who spend thousands of hours every year volunteering in Rome and Floyd County. With the 2018-2019 Junior Service League calendar year end approaching in May, the League recently donated and distributed $44,000 to JSL Community Partners.
With the help of the community, the Ladies of League were able to fundraise with a variety of events including the Garden Tours of 2018, Poinsettia Sales in 2018, and The Follies “Box Office Revue” that debuted in February 2019.
Through the Junior Service League of Rome’s Community Partnership Program, JSL provides partnership opportunities for selected organizations in multiple ways: (1) JSL Volunteers Only; (2) JSL Community Project Opportunities; (3) JSL Member Drives; (4) JSL Board Participation; and (5) JSL Community Funding Opportunities. Partnerships run from June through May of the respective league year.
Selected organizations must be a 501(c)(3) organization with a special interest in improving the lives of women and children in the City of Rome and Floyd County areas.
The Junior Service League of Rome rotates annually between a “service” focused year and a “giving” directed year with every year dedicated to giving back to the community. Even though 2017-2018 was a serviced focus year, JSL still gifted $16,000 to the League for Learning Program which provided school supplies to over 2,200 children in Rome City and Floyd County schools and approximately $5,000 to Chieftains Museum.
Vice Versa, in addition to fundraising in this giving focused year, 2018-2019, members of JSL collectively volunteered in the community approximately 12,000-plus hours.
With the 2019-2020 Community Application recently expiring, JSL collected approximately 30 Community Partnership Applications, with 10 of them being first time applicants that League has not had the opportunity to partner with before. The Junior Service League will serve selected Community Partners in a variety of ways in the upcoming year, each organization selecting the service that best fits their needs.
With the 2019-2020 League Year just around the corner, kicking off in June, the Ladies of League will hold the anticipated Poinsettia Sale in the fall, host a Garden Tour in the spring, incorporate several membership drives throughout the year and dedicate thousands of hours to working in the community.
2018-2019 Donations include:
- Boys and Girls Club of Northwest Georgia, $1,200
- Brighter Birthdays, $2,500
- Chieftains Museum, $5,000
- Exchange Club Family Resource Center, $1,500
- Ferst Readers, Inc – Floyd Co., $900
- Floyd County Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), $2,000
- Global Impact International – Restoration Rome, $3,000
- League for Learning, $16,000
- Living Proof Recovery, Inc., $1,500
- Open Door Home, $1,500
- Rome Floyd County Commission on Children and Youth, $500
- Sarah Hightower Regional Library, $1,000
- Sexual Assault Center of NWGA, $600
- South Rome Early Learning Center, $2,500
- Summit Quest Cancer Support Services, $1,000
- Three Rivers Housing and Development Corp. DBA Rome Children’s Academy,
- We Care Service Center – East Central Elem., $500
- William S. Davies Homeless Shelters, Inc, $1,500
- Young Life / Young Lives, $500