A Silver Creek man is in custody Tuesday evening following a chase on and off Ga. 101 that saw speeds approaching 100 mph. Arrested: Brandon Carl Porter, 34.
Sgt. Chris Fincher of the Floyd County Police Department reports that:
- It started with a seat belt violation — and driving with a suspended license.
- Officer Timothy Puckett was pursuing the suspect.
- They wove through some of the side roads off Ga. 101 and Spur 101.
- As the suspect fled at near 100 mph, Puckett eased off the chase, citing the increased risk to motorists especially during rush hour.
- A citizen reported a nearby accident involving a vehicle matching the pickup truck that had sped away.
- The suspect fled on foot. Officers from the police department, Floyd County Sheriff’s Office and the Georgia State Patrol began a search.
- Porter was found in a field on or around Donahoo Road and Wax Road.
Porter faces the following charges, based on reports from the Floyd County Jail:
40-5-121(A) – DRIVING WHILE LICENSE SUSPENDED OR REVOKED (MISDEMEANOR) – Cleared by Arrest
40-6-71 – FAILURE TO YIELD WHILE TURNING LEFT – Cleared by Arrest
40-6-72(B) – STOP SIGN VIOLATION – Cleared by Arrest – 3 counts
40-6-48 – Failure to Maintain Lane – Cleared by Arrest – 2 counts
40-6-181 – Speeding in Excess of Maximum limits – Cleared by Arrest – 6 counts
40-6-46 – Passing in a No Passing Zone – Cleared by Arrest – 2 counts
40-8-76.1 – Safety Belts, Use of Required 18 And Up – Cleared by Arrest
40-6-390 – Reckless Driving – Cleared by Arrest
40-2-5 – ACQUIRING LICENSE PLATE FOR PURPOSE OF CONCEALING IDENTIFICATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE – Cleared by Arrest
40-6-395(B)(1) – FLEEING OR ATTEMPTING TO ELUDE A POLICE OFFICER – Cleared by Arrest
A man hunt is under way following what started as a traffic stop in southern Floyd County Tuesday evening, according to Sgt. Chris Fincher of the Floyd County Police Department. Preliminary reports show:
The suspect sped off, initiating a chase with law enforcement.
The suspect crashed his white pickup truck and fled on foot.
Officers, using K9 units, continued to search for him off Ga. 101 between Donahoo Road and Zona Kay Circle as of 6:25 p.m.