Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Georgia Highlands College Athletics will be hosting the Northwest Georgia High School All Star Basketball games tonight. The top players from across the region will be participating. The girls will tip off at 6 p.m. followed by the boys at 7:30 p.m. There will be a three-point contest between games and the Jumping Jackets Jump Rope Team will perform as well. Admission: $6.
Rome Relays at Barron Stadium this Saturday. “We have 18 teams scheduled to compete this weekend. Schools like Hillgrove, McKetrin, North Springs and Cedar Shoals have some really great teams that are really competitive at the state level,” says Nick Bridges, Rome High’s track and field coach. “I am also excited about some of the traditions associated with the Rome Relays. As this meet continues to grow, we are hoping to get some of the teams, like Southwest Dekalb, back to the meet. Coach (Luke) Syverson at Berry College and I have been working on making this event bigger and better than it has ever been.” Bridges said has invited Frank Pinson, Rome Relays Meet Director for 40-plus years, to serve as the honorary starter for the meet. Volunteers are also welcome to email Bridges at email@example.com if they would like to help out with the meet.
The YMCA Arsenal Rome Select soccer teams began the spring season with a 1-2-1 record this weekend.
- The Boys 2005 Classic division I team lost to CFA Gainesville Archies 0-1 at home in the spring season opener on 3/2. Goalkeeper Will Payne had 4 saves in the 1st half. Jason Cux had 2 saves in the 2nd. Isaiah Johnson had two goal line blocks.
- This past Saturday they traveled to Suwanee where they lost to the Georgia Xpress Elite Espana by a score of 3-2. Goalkeepers Will Payne and Jason Cux each had 3 saves. Tyler Garrett provided an assist to Joshua Hernandez, who scored in the 1st half. Cesar Perez provided an assist to Steven Villatoro with a goal in the 2nd.
- On Sunday, they beat the Alpharetta Ambush Red 3-0. Tyler Garrett assisted Steven Villatoro on the opening goal. Villatoro later got his second goal on a PK. Cesar Perez got the 3rd. Goalkeepers Payne and Cux combined on 5 saves for the shut-out. The team returns to action this coming weekend with home games against CFA Dalton and Athens.
- The Girls 2006 C-West tied SSA Chelsea Blue 0-0.
- The YMCA Rome Arsenal Academy teams went 2-11 in Brookhaven on Saturday. On Sunday they visited Atlanta Fire United in Dallas to post a 2-4 record. That gives them a season record of 4-15. Next weekend they visit Dalton on Saturday and host the Cobb YMCA on Sunday.
- The G’10 lost to Brookhaven 7-1 with a goal from Charley Beth Hall. Melanie Hernandez got 3 goals on Sunday as they beat the Atlanta Fire Silver.
- The G’09 beat Brookhaven Gold 1-0 in a cagey match. A PK separated the sides expertly converted by Lorena Lom.
- The G’08 lost to Brookhaven Gold 1-0, Silver 2-0, and Atlanta Fire Silver 1-0.
- The B’10 lost to Brookhaven Gold 6-1, White 6-1, and Atlanta Fire Red 7-1.
- The B’09 lost to Brookhaven Gold 4-3 with goals from Spencer Baker, Saul Valerio, and Andon Rosser. Grant Molnar posted a shutout in the 1sthalf. They lost to Brookhaven White 6-2 with goals from Baker and beat the Atlanta Fire Red 3-2.
- The B’08 lost to Brookhaven Black 6-0 and Atlanta Fire Silver 9-1.
- The B’07 lost to Brookhaven Gold 7-2 with goals from Giovani Echanique assisted by Klae Theakston and Ridge Hardaker. In the 2ndgame they lost to Brookhaven Black 2-1 with another goal from Echanique. On Sunday they lost to Atlanta Fire Gold 3-2 with goals from Luis Yancor assisted by Zeke Donner.
- Compiled by Roy Dickinson
Rome over Cass, 3-0. Alden Astin, who is headed to Georgia Highlands to play baseball, struck out seven in a complete game shutout.
Cedartown 10, Model 6.
Darlington 3, Christian Heritage 1.
Pepperell falls to Dade County, 10-8.
Rome vs. Cass
Pepperell vs. Dade County, 5 p.m.
Darlington vs. Mount Zion, 4:30 p.m., State Mutual Stadium
Model Vs. Armuchee, 7 p.m., State Mutual Stadium.
Saturday: The Harbin Clinic Leprechaun-a-thon returns. Harbin Clinic once again is teaming with Rome-Floyd Parks and Recreation and Parker Systems for the event, which is the largest 5K race in Northwest Georgia, featuring all the fun and festivities of the previous eight years rolled into one giant, green gala. Race day festivities kick off with the costume contest at 6:30 p.m. The 5K race, featuring a mostly flat and fast course, begins at 7:30 p.m. with the walk starting a few minutes after at 7:40 p.m. For more.
- Race Day Registration: From 6-7 p.m. $30, all levels.
- Packet pickup: Group — parks & rec main office, 1 Shorter Ave., today from 1-5 pm.
- Packet pickup, individuals: parks & rec main office, 1 Shorter Ave., today from 5-8 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
April 27, Rome High School will be hosting the Wolf Nation 5K and 1 Mile Race. Last year, 260 runners took part. . This year, the 5K will start at 7:30 a.m. and the 1-Mile race at 8:15 a.m.
SEC Men’s tournament schedule: From Nashville
FIRST ROUND – Wed., March 13
Game 1 No. 13 seed Georgia downed by Missouri, 71-61.
Game 2 No. 14 seed Vanderbilt fell to Texas A&M, 69-52.
SECOND ROUND – Thurs., March 14
1 p.m. Game 3 No. 9 seed Arkansas vs. No. 8 seed Florida SEC Network
Game 4 Missouri vs. No. 5 seed Auburn SEC Network6 p.m.
Game 5 No. 10 seed Alabama vs. No. 7 seed Ole Miss SEC Network
Game 6 Texas A & M vs. No. 6 seed Mississippi State SEC Network
QUARTERFINALS – Fri., March 15
1 p.m.Game 7 Game 3 winner vs. No. 1 seed LSU ESPN
6 p.m. Game 8 Game 4 winner vs. No. 4 seed South Carolina ESPN.
Game 9 Game 5 winner vs. No. 2 seed Kentucky SEC Network
Game 10 Game 6 winner vs. No. 3 seed Tennessee SEC Network
SEMIFINALS – Sat., March 16
1 p.m.Game 11 Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner ESPN
Game 12Game 9 winner vs. Game 10 winner ESPN
CHAMPIONSHIP – Sun., March 17
1 p.m.Game 13 Game 11 winner vs. Game 12 winner ESPN
2019 ACC Men’s Tournament schedule, scores: Charlotte, N.C. ACC. All times Eastern; some start times approximated
Second round — Wednesday, March 13
Game 4: No. 8 NC State edges 9 Clemson 59-58.
Game 5: No. 5 Virginia Tech 71, Miami 58.
Game 6: No. 7 Louisville 75, Notre Dame 63.
Game 7: No. 6 Syracuse 73, Pitt 59
Quarterfinals — Thursday, March 14
Game 8: No. 1 Virginia vs. N.C. State — 12:30 p.m. on ESPN
Game 9: No. 4 Florida State vs. Virginia Tech — 2:30 p.m. on ESPN
Game 10: No. 2 North Carolina vs. Louisville — 7 p.m. on ESPN
Game 11: No. 3 Duke vs. Syracuse — 9 p.m. on ESPN
Semifinals — Friday, March 15
Game 12: Game 8 winner vs. Game 9 winner — 7 p.m. on ESPN
Game 13: Game 10 winner vs. Game 11 winner — 9 p.m. on ESPN
ACC Tournament Championship Game — Saturday, March 16
Game 14 — 8:30 p.m. on ESPN