The following update is from Tim Herrington, Floyd County’s Emergency Management director:
- The Storm Prediction now has a Slight Risk for Saturday across far NW north Georgia with a Marginal Risk across much of north and west Georgia. Additionally, the risk for severe weather still exists for Sunday across much of central Georgia.
What to expect:
- Scattered storms ahead of and along a cold front will be possible on Saturday PM (highest thunderstorm risk across north and west Georgia) through Sunday (highest thunderstorm risk in central Georgia)
- The primary threats with the storms will be damaging wind gusts and the potential for tornadoes.
- Heaviest rainfall is expected across northern Georgia which would lead to an increased chance of flash flooding and river flooding.
- Current rainfall totals for Saturday and Sunday are expected to be generally 1.5 to 3 inches across far north Georgia with around an inch across the Atlanta metro and less further south.
The dry: High Fire Danger Today. Dry conditions are expected for this afternoon and evening. Minimum relative humidity values are expected to drop to 20 to 25 percent across the area for several hours.
Coosa River at Plant Hammond. 572 feet and steady. Flood stage: 570 feet.
Coosa River at Lock and Dam Park. 24.1 feet and rising. Flood stage: 24 feet.
For additional flood reports and latest updates: Flood watch
Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 56. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph.
Thursday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after 4am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 41. Calm wind.
Friday: Showers likely, mainly between 7am and 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 59. South wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday Night: A 50 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 51. South wind around 5 mph.
Saturday: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 65. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Saturday Night: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 57. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Sunday: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Partly sunny, with a high near 69. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.