Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
- Rome High’s Samson Mumber takes first place in GHSA Swimming & Diving Championships in 4A-5A 100-yard backstroke with time of 50.68.
- Rome High’s Kena Davis takes third place in GHSA Swimming & Diving Championships in 4A-5A 50-yard freestyle with time of 21.16.
- Calhoun High Boys Swim Team finishes in 2nd place overall in GHSA Swimming & Diving Championship in Class A-3A. The Calhoun Girls team finished in 5th place.
Region championship: Chattooga beat Rockmart, 61-52, in OT to win region title.
REGION 5 / 4A Tournament
- Consolation: Cedartown falls to Central of Carrollton, 46-33.
- Championship: Sandy Creek beat Troup County, 50-47.
- Consolation: Troup County beat Cedartown, 72-46.
- Championship: Cartersville falls to Sandy Creek, 78-64. Cartersville will have the 2nd seed in state tournament.
REGION 6 / 3A Tournament
- Championship: Sonoraville beat Coahulla Creek, 53-49, to win region title.
- Championship: North Murray over Calhoun, 56-51. Calhoun has 2nd seed for state tournament.
State Basketball Tournament first round Match-ups (courtesy of John McClellan)
Georgia High School Association first round girls games will be played Friday night with first round boys games being played on Saturday. A school who is hosting both girls and boys first round games, may with the permission of the opposing teams, schedule both games on Saturday.
Girls First Round Games
- Rome at Maynard Jackson
- Cass at Riverwood
- Cedartown at Madison County
- Cherokee Bluff at Sonoraville
- Washington at Rockmart
- Therrell at Chattooga
- Model at KIPP Atlanta Charter
- Gordon Central at Douglass
Those pairings will be announced on Monday once power ratings are final. Darlington should make the Class A Private School playoffs and Trion should make the Class A Public School playoffs.
GICAA Division 1-A
Unity Christian drew a bye in the first round and will play the winner of Tuesday night’s game between Georgia Christian School and Rock Springs Christian Academy at 4 p.m. Friday at Brewton-Parker College.
Boys First Round Games
- Rome at Riverwood
- Madison County at Cartersville
- Cedartown at St. Pius X
- East Hall at Calhoun
- Hapeville at Rockmart
- Douglass at Chattooga
- Model at Therrell
- Coosa at South Atlanta
Those pairings will be announced on Monday once power ratings are final. Darlington should make the Class A Private School playoffs.
GICAA Division 1-A
Unity Christian School at David Emanuel Academy on Tuesday. The winner will play Highland Christian Academy at 11 a.m. Saturday at Brewton Parker College.
- Lady Chargers: Two of the top teams in GCAA battled it out at the Corral with the Lady Jets of South Georgia Tech coming away with the 85-70 win. The Lady Chargers were led by Jahnarria Brown and Sharai Lay with 17 points each, Cierrah Perdue had 13 points and 9 rebounds, and Nijeria Jordan had 12 points. The Lady Chargers (17-10, 14-2 ) in GCAA play returns to action on Saturday as they travel to Albany Tech tip off 2 p.m.
- Chargers: Chargers get the win over South Georgia Tech, 83-77.
- Early registration discount: YMCA Members $79, Non Members $119. A $10 regular registration increase applies after Feb. 26.Cost includes jersey, end of season award and pizza party as well as Georgia Soccer Association registration. For more: facebook.com/YMCARomeSoccer
Rome-Floyd Sports Hall of Fame inductees for 2019 are Renny Bryner, Sally Echols, Dr. Gary Graves, Jonathan Kilgo, David Mathis. Banquet is Feb. 25. Hall of Fame