Media release: Floyd Medical Center has been named one of America’s Best Hospitals for both obstetrics and bariatric surgery.
Women giving birth or seeking bariatric surgery at Floyd Medical Center will find services ranked among the top in the nation, according to the 2019 Women’s Choice Awards. The nationwide awards are aimed at helping women make smart health choices.
The obstetrics award signifies that Floyd is in the top 17 percent (462) of 2,778 U.S. hospitals. The bariatric award puts Floyd in the top 8 percent (387) of 4,797 U.S. hospitals reviewed.
“This recognition is important to Floyd because it is an indication that our efforts to make patient care and patient satisfaction a priority are making a difference,” said Dr. Sheila Bennett, Executive Vice President and Chief of Patient Services. “Women in our community understand the services we provide are excellent, and that is clearly reflected in the Women’s Choice Awards.”
The America’s Best Hospitals for Obstetrics distinction is based on:
- The percentage of patients reporting through the Hospital Consumer Assess-ment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey that they would definitely recommend the hospital
- Patient safety rankings based on 11 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ measures of infection and complication rates
- Low rates of early elective deliveries, between 0-1 percent
- Level III neonatal intensive care designations to provide comprehensive care for the most complex and critically ill newborns.
Floyd’s obstetrics program began in 1942, when the hospital first opened. Over the past 76 years, more than 140,000 babies have been born at Floyd Medical Center. Floyd’s Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit has provided care for premature and medically challenged newborns since 1996.
Floyd achieved the America’s Best distinction in bariatrics by meeting the following criteria:
- Accreditation by the American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery joint-sponsored Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP)
- At least 72 percent of patients reporting on the HCAPHS survey that they would definitely recommend the hospital
- A high patient safety ranking based on 11 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ measures of infection and complication rates
The Floyd Center for Bariatric Services is a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, recognized by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons. The Floyd Center for Bariatric Services first opened in 2004. Since that time, more than 1,700 patients have received weight loss surgery at Floyd Medical Center.