Special election for House District 5 seat (Gordon, Murray counties): With 12.26 percent of the eligible voters casting ballots, residents in Gordon County and Murray County picked the two finalists to face off for the House seat vacated by the death of John Meadows last month. In Tuesday’s election, Jessie L. Vaught and Matt Barton finished with the mst votes – but not enough for an overall win. Thus, the runoff.
In all, 3,520 votes were cast or 12.26 percent of those eligible to vote. How the votes were cast:
- Matt Barton, Republican: 23.15% or 815 votes.
- Steve Cochran, Republican: 2.61% or 92 votes.
- Lawrence (Larry) Massey Jr., Republican: 14.89% or 524 votes.
- Brian Rosser, Democrat: 4.63% or 163 votes.
- Scott Tidwell, Republican: 20.99% or 739 votes.
- Jessie L. Vaughn, Republican: 33.82% or 1,187 votes.
The Murray County vote — 150 total votes cast; turnout was under 5 percent.