YMCA seeks coats for those in need this winter: “Do you have a gently used coat you no longer wear? The Rome Y is collecting new and gently used coats and jackets to give away in our community at our One Warm Coat event on Jan. 11-13. Donation boxes are located at the front desk at the Y and may be made anytime the Y is open until Wednesday, Jan. 9. Men’s, women’s and children’s new or clean used coats are needed. Need a coat? Just come to the Y next weekend to choose a coat or jacket.
The fall term of the Floyd County Grand Jury returned the following report:
- The district attorney’s office presented 296 “bills” for consideration, of those, 295 were “true bills” or advanced; one was returned.
- Recommended juror daily compensation be increased from $25 to $29 a daily.
- Recommended bailiff compensation be raised from $79.08 to $80 a day.
Advance voting ends in the House District 5 special election: Through Friday, 1,281 advance votes were cast in Gordon County.
Next up: Tuesday’s election in parts of Gordon and Murray counties to fill the seat of the late state Rep. John Meadows. A run-off, if needed, would be held Feb. 5. Six candidates, including five Republicans and one Democrat, qualified for the election. Candidates who qualified:
- Matt Barton, Republican
- Steve Cochran, Republican
- Lawrence (Larry) Massey Jr., Republican
- Brian Rosser, Democrat
- Scott Tidwell, Republican
- Jessie L. Vaughn, Republican
Precincts are open Tuesday from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. To check your voter registration status and to view your districts, please visit www.mvp.sos.ga.gov or call the Gordon County Board of Elections Office at 706-629-7781.
The Rome-Floyd County Commission on Children and Youth’s annual luncheon and 30th anniversary celebration is set for Thursday, Jan. 17, at noon at Restoration Rome, 1400 Crane St., Reservations are due by Jan. 10; write to email@example.com