HOUSE DISTRICT 14 special election
Four seek House District 14 seat: They are Ken Coomer, Nickie Leighly, Mitchell Scoggins and Nathan Wilson. The winner replaces state representative and now Georgia Court of Appeals Judge Christian Coomer.
- Please see our candidate profiles by clicking House 14.
- The Special Republican Primary will be held on Dec. 18.
- Early voting is today through Friday.
- A run-off, if needed, is set for Jan. 15.
- The 2019 General Assembly begins on Jan. 14.
Who can vote:
Five precincts in Floyd: Barkers, Chulio, Etowah, Howell and North Rome.
- Advance voting is today through Friday at the second story of the county administration building (yellow brick courthouse), 12 E. Fourth Ave., from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.
In Bartow County:
- All of Adairsville
- Some of Cartersville East
- All of Cassville
- Some of Center
- All of Folsom
- All of Kingston
- All of Pine Log
- All of White
· Advance Voting begins Monday in Bartow at:
- Voter Registration Office: 1300 Joe Frank Harris Parkway, today through Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Manning Mill Gym, 163B Manning Mill Road, Adairsville, today through Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
HOUSE DISTRICT 5 special election
Six qualify for House District 5 special election on Jan. 8: From the Secretary of State’s Office: Notice is hereby given that a special election shall be held on Jan. 8, in the parts of Gordon and Murray counties that comprise Georgia House District 5 after the passing of state Rep. John Meadows. A run-off, if needed, shall be held on Feb. 5. A total of six candidates including five Republicans and one Democrat qualified for the election. Wednesday, Dec. 12, is the last day to register to vote for all persons who are not registered to vote and who desire to vote in the special election. Meadows died following a battle with stomach cancer last month. Candidates who qualified:
- Matt Barton, Republican
- Steve Cochran, Republican
- Lawrence (Larry) Massey Jr., Republican
- Brian Rosser, Democrat
- Scott Tidwell, Republican
- Jessie L. Vaughn, Republican
From Shea Hicks, Gordon County Elections Supervisor: Those precincts eligible to vote in this special election include:
- 1055 Plainville
- 1064 Oostanaula
- 1054 Sugar Valley
- 980 Resaca
- 1063 Pine Chapel
- 849-A County/Belmont
- 849-B City of Calhoun
- 856 Lily Pond
- 973 Red Bud (this precinct is split some voters will not be eligible to vote in this special election, only if you reside in House District 5).
- 1056 Sonoraville (this precinct is split some voters will not be eligible to vote in this special election, only if you reside in House District 5).
- NOTE: Oakman and Fairmount voting precincts will not be eligible to vote in this special election.
Early Voting will begin on Monday, Dec. 17 and will end on Friday, Jan. 4, 2019, with the exception that the Gordon County Board of Elections and Voter Registration Office will be closed on Dec. 24-25 and on Jan. 1. To cast your ballot early you will go to the Gordon County Board of Elections and Voter Registration Office located at 215 N Wall Street, Calhoun, Georgia, office hours are from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. To check your voter registration status and to view your districts please visit www.mvp.sos.ga.gov or call the Gordon County Board of Elections Office at 706-629-7781.