Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
- Above photo gallery from the banquet held as part of the event Thursday at Berry College. Photos courtesy of Jim O’Hara.
The Southern Athletic Association announced the 2018 fall All-Sportsmanship teams on Thursday with Vikings from each of Berry College’s six fall sports earning recognition. The All-Sportsmanship honor is given to student athletes who exemplify the SAA’s mission of emphasizing good sportsmanship and fair play among all competitors.Berry’s Honorees:
- Football – Nick McGee
- Men’s Cross Country – Parker Roberts
- Women’s Cross Country – Abby Carroll
- Men’s Soccer — Carson Oakes
- Women’s Soccer – Vanessa Belanger
- Volleyball – Hannah Billiard
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
From Rockmart High School:
We have plenty of tickets! We will not run out of tickets! They are available at Raceway, Rockmart Florist, City Body, Whiteheads Florist and Rockmart High School. If they sell out, tell them to call us and we will bring more. Lorie Allred would love to take your money in the RHS Front Office. Parents and students, be careful buying parking. Your money is only good for one game. You will be charged double, triple or towed if you stay too long in the lot. Sign up for the fan bus; it will be the easiest way to get to the stadium. $8 per person. For more: Facebook
From Rockmart High: A few reminders of the Fighting Yellow Jackets football team schedule:
- Friday, Grand Marshal, Rockmart Christmas Parade – Come out and cheer on the Fight Yellow Jackets Football Team and Santa at the Parade. All I want for Christmas is a State Championship. Bring your Pom-Poms and your signs.
- Sunday and Monday: Practice at Rockmart High School, 4 p.m.
- Tuesday: Team travels to the Benz at 10 a.m. Game practice after school. Dinner and a Movie after practice.
- Wednesday: Breakfast at school. Community send off at 9. Game at 1 p.m.
Updates from the Cartersville Canes Touchdown Club:
“We have the details many of you have been awaiting. Tickets to see the Purple Hurricanes face Blessed Trinity in the Class AAAA State Championship game will be on sale beginning Wednesday, Dec. 5. You can purchase tickets on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the ticket booth located on Church Street. Presale tickets are $22 each; however, if you purchase them at the stadium or order them online from Ticketmaster, they will be $29.50 each. There is no student discount available for this game. Also, tickets will not be for sale through Fan Co; online tickets are only available through Ticketmaster. We urge you to purchase your tickets early as we only have 4,000. To offer convenience, we will have fan bus transportation to the game for $7 per rider. You can sign up to ride the fan bus and purchase the bus ticket at the ticket booth during presale. You must have a game ticket to purchase a fan bus ticket. If you have purchased your game ticket online, you must bring proof of the purchase with you to buy the fan bus ticket. Please click for additional updates.
John McClellan’s Georgia High School football championship picks for 2018: Cartersville Purple Hurricanes, Rockmart Yellow Jackets will win state titles Dec. 12. Also: A breakdown on the six other games. McClellan
State championships for high school football:
Class 2A: Rockmart vs. Heard Co., Dec. 12 at 1 p.m., Mercedes Benz Stadium. Tickets: Rockmart will pre-sale tickets for the BENZ starting Monday, Dec. 3. Pre-sale tickets will be $22.00 and $30.00 at door. You can purchase tickets at Rockmart High School, Raceway, City Body, Rockmart Florist, and Whiteheads Florist. Polk County Schools will be closed on Dec. 12 for the championship game.
Class 4A: Cartersville vs. Blessed Trinity, Dec. 12 at 4:30 p.m., Mercedes Benz Stadium. Cartersville City Schools will have a half-day of class on Dec. 12 for the championship game.
All games to be broadcast on GPB.
- Georgia to play in Sugar Bowl, 8:45 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 1, vs. Texas.
- Georgia Tech to play Minnesota in the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit, Dec. 26, 5:15 p.m.
- Peach Bowl, Saturday, Dec. 29, noon: Florida vs. Michigan.