Media release: Northwest Georgia’s labor force grew in October. At the same time, unemployment claims were up and the number of employed were down for the month in the 15-county region. Most indicators were positive for the year.
“Georgia’s job market has been strong all year, across all 12 regions,” said state Labor Commissioner Mark Butler. “We continue to add jobs, employed residents and grow our labor force. We have much to be thankful for.”
The unemployment rate for October, at 3.7 percent, was up .5 percent over the previous month. A year ago, the rate was 4.3 percent. The October rate was sixth among the 12 regions.
The labor force in Northwest Georgia climbed by 577 in October to reach 422,905. That number is up by 6,159 over the past year, an average monthly increase of about 513.
Northwest Georgia lost 1,380 employed residents in October, pushing the total to 407,415. The number is up 8,555 for the year, or about 713 per month.
Claims for unemployment insurance were up by 30 percent in October. They were up by 41 percent when compared to the same month a year ago.
Employ Georgia, the GDOL’s online job listing service at employgeorgia.com showed 2,225 active job postings in metro Northwest Georgia for October.
The Northwest Georgia region includes Bartow, Chattooga, Catoosa, Dade, Fannin, Floyd, Gilmer, Gordon, Haralson, Murray, Paulding, Pickens, Polk, Walker, and Whitfield.
Breakout on Bartow County from the labor department:
- The unemployment rate for October, at 3.5 percent, was up .4 percent over the previous month. A year ago, the rate was 4.1 percent.
- The labor force in Bartow rose by 226 in October to reach 50,716. That number is up by 764 over the past year, an average monthly gain of about 64.
- Bartow gained 15 employed residents in October, pushing the total to 48,940. The number is up 1,038 for the year, or about 87 per month.
- Claims for unemployment insurance went up by 52 percent in October. They were up by 14 percent when compared to the same month a year ago.
- Employ Georgia, the GDOL’s online job listing service at employgeorgia.comshowed 300 active job postings in metro Bartow for October.