From Rome Police, Nov. 26: On the night of Friday, Nov. 23, Mr. Hugh Don Wyatt was robbed and shot inside his residence on E 15th St. Witnesses stated that they heard gunshots and observed a young black male with short dreads running from Mr Wyatt’s residence through the wooded area toward East 14th Street. Unfortunately, Mr Wyatt passed away from his injuries.
We are requesting anyone with information about this robbery contact Investigator Aaron Thacker at 706-238-5126. ou may also contact our anonymous crime line at 706-236-5000. Please be patient and through when reporting through the crime line. Any information can help this case.
Obituary: Mr. Hugh Don Wyatt, passed away Friday, November 23, 2018. Services for Mr. Wyatt will be Thursday, November 29, 2018, at 3 p.m. at Church of Christ, 108 E. Callahan St. Rome, Georgia. He will lie in-state from 2 p.m. until the hour of service. Interment will follow in the East View Cemetery, Rome, Georgia. Wright Memorial Mortuary.
Rome Police are continuing their search for a suspect in the shooting death of 77-year-old Hugh Don Wyatt, who was found at his home at 1501 Maple Ave. with a gunshot wound late Friday. As of Sunday morning, no arrests have been made and no information has been released on the suspect.
Latest from Rome Police Asst. Chief Debbie Burnett: At approximately 6:06 p.m., officers responded to 1501 Maple Ave in reference to a black male being shot and laying unresponsive in his front yard. Officers and EMTs attempted medical treatment on the victim who was identified as Hugh Don Wyatt, 77 years old. Mr. Wyatt was later pronounced deceased at Floyd Medical Center, having been shot in the chest and torso. Witnesses in the area heard 4 gunshots and observed a male with dreadlocks, red and yellow jacket, and black backpack running across Maple Ave away from 1501. No information on the suspect at this time.
According to Floyd Deputy Coroner Eric Johnson, Wyatt died of a single gunshot wound to the chest. His body is being sent to the GBI Crime Lab for an autopsy. He did reside at the shooting location, 1501 Maple Ave. As of Saturday morning, there have been no arrests made in the case, according to Sgt. Pledger with Rome City Police. He says it is has been upgraded to a murder investigation and suspect(s) have not been identified at this time.
Anyone with details about the case is asked to call the police department’s crime tips line at 706-236-5000 or click CrimeLine.
Our archives show there have been at least seven murders in the city of Rome since Jan. 1 of this year, which include:
- May 24: Martez Harris, 25, was found dead after a shooting at Three Rivers Gardens Apartments in West Rome. Arrested: Demonte Tywon Penn, 26.
- June 15: Killed was John A. Allen Jr.; arrested, Grady Harper Jr.
- June 16: Dying from bullet wounds received that day was Crystal Vega, a mother of five. Arrested: Nakotah Smith, 33.
- June 27: Joseph R. Dye, 49, was found severely beaten. He later died from those injuries. Charged: John Mostiller.
- July 25: 37-year-old LaMario Majors was found shot in his chest inside; he died July 30. Charged: Keilan Orr, 18.
- Sept. 23: Tamaine Deshaun McKnight was found shot at 510 Calhoun Ave. Three others were also shot during the incident. No updates on any arrests.