A look at October’s jobless rates across Northwest Georgia show four of five counties saw the unemployment rate increase in October compared to September. However, all were down from the previous October with the exception of Chattooga County, which posted a slight increase over September and vs. 12 months earlier. The numbers show:
Floyd: 4%, up from the previous month but down from 12 months earlier.
Bartow: 3.5%, up from September but down vs. October 2017.
Gordon: 3.5%, up from September, down from the previous October.
Polk: 3.8%, up from the previous month, down vs. October 2017.
Chattooga: 4.3% which was up from both the previous month and from October of last year.
FIRST TIME JOBLESS CLAIMS
These numbers are revised from a previous post.
Floyd: 470 claims, a 117% increase from a year earlier and a 173% jump from September.
Bartow: 220 claims, up from the previous month and a year earlier.
Gordon: 239 claims, an increase from September and from October of last year.
Polk: 120 claims, up from a month earlier and from the same month in 2017.
Chattooga: 34 claims, up slightly from September and from a year earlier.
Media release: All indicators still remain positive for the year with the exception of initial unemployment claims in October, says.Georgia Labor Commissioner Mark Butler. “The job market has been very robust this year. Our communities continue to grow and prosper,” he says. About those numbers:
- The October unemployment rate rose to 4.0 percent. That’s up 0.4 percent from the previous month but down from 4.6 percent one year ago.
- The labor force increased in October by 182 to reach 44,484 total members. The number has dropped by 177 over the past 12 months.
- Rome lost nine employed residents in October, dropping its total to more than 42,699. That number grew by 448 over the past year.
- Rome saw jobs increase by 200 in October to reach 41,700. This puts Rome up 400 jobs for the year.
- Initial claims for unemployment are up by 171 percent for the month and are up by about 117 percent when compared to the same period a year ago.
- Employ Georgia, the GDOL’s online job listing service at employgeorgia.com showed 303 active job postings in metro Rome for October.