- Flash flood watch for much of North Georgia, including our area, now through 7 a.m. Thursday: Some areas could see two to three inches of additional rain, on top of what we had on Monday. Heaviest rain due this afternoon, evening. The extra rain could cause creeks and streams to overflow, flooding roads and some areas.
- Flood warning for the Coosa River at Plant Hammond: The river was at 572.3 and falling; flood stage is 570 feet. Impact: Mostly pasture land.
- Flood warning for the Coosa River at Lock & Dam Park. The river was at 26 feet and falling; flood stage is 24 feet. Minor flooding possible and the boat ramp likely will be under way.
- The Oostanaula River was at 21.11 feet and falling, above flood “action” stage but below the flood level of 25 feet. The river has crested following runoff from Monday’s rains. The gates remain closed.
- More rain due: 1.25 inches or more expected today into Thursday. That could trigger a new round of flood or flash flood concerns.
RAINFALL so far Wednesday plus earlier totals.
Rome: 0.92 inches. Monday/Tuesday: 3.22 inches.
Cartersville: 0.37 inches. Monday/Tuesday: 3.75 inches.
Calhoun: 0.48 inches. Monday/Tuesday: 3.18 inches.
Rain is expected to develop again today and continue into early Thursday. The rain could be heavy at times. As the rain occurs, an increased threat for river and stream flooding is expected by the middle of the week. An additional 2 to 3 inches of rainfall is likely with isolated higher amounts possible.
We’re looking at at least 1.25 inches of rain, most of it falling between 10 this morning and 4 a.m. Thursday.
Wednesday Night: Showers. Low around 38. East wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Thursday: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 41. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Thursday Night: Patchy frost. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Friday: Sunny, with a high near 53.
Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 34.