From media releases: Bartow County’s unemployment rate for September was the lowest ever recorded for the area, according to state Labor Commissioner Mark Butler. The regional numbers also were good (see below).
Bartow also increased its number of employed residents and saw claims for unemployment fall in September. Meanwhile, the labor force declined slightly. Critical indicators were positive for the year.
“It’s exciting to see so many of our communities across the state doing so well,” Butler said. “We continue to add jobs and see the unemployment rate fall. Even better, people are getting hired – often at record levels.” Those numbers show:
- The unemployment rate for September, at 3.1 percent, was down .3 percent over the previous month. A year ago, the rate was 4.2 percent.
- The labor force in Bartow County dropped by 12 in September to reach 50,241. That number is up by 325 over the past year, an average monthly loss of about 25.
- Bartow County gained 213 employed residents in September, pushing the total to 48,877. The number is up 835 for the year, or about 70 per month.
- Claims for unemployment insurance fell by 39 percent in September. They were down by 21 percent when compared to the same month a year ago.
- Employ Georgia, the GDOL’s online job listing service at employgeorgia.com, showed 253 active job postings in metro Bartow County for September.
Also, Northwest Georgia’s unemployment rate fell in September while other critical measures all trended in the right direction. The 15-county region also increased its number of employed residents and labor force in September. A closer look shows:
- The unemployment rate for September, at 3.2 percent, was down .5 percent over the previous month. A year ago, the rate was 4.4 percent. The September rate tied for fourth among the 12 regions.
- The labor force in Northwest Georgia climbed by 9 in September to reach 422,247. That number is up by 2,672 over the past year, an average monthly increase of about 220.
- Northwest Georgia gained 1,843 employed residents in September, pushing the total to 408,634. The number is up 7,445 for the year, or about 620 per month.
- Claims for unemployment insurance fell by 17 percent in September. They were down by 46 percent when compared to the same month a year ago.
- Employ Georgia showed 2,216 active job postings in metro Northwest Georgia for September.
The region includes Bartow, Chattooga, Catoosa, Dade, Fannin, Floyd, Gilmer, Gordon, Haralson, Murray, Paulding, Pickens, Polk, Walker, and Whitfield.