HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
John McClellan high school picks: Critical region games this week with Pepperell over Chattooga; Coosa beats Gordon Central; Rockmart over Model; wins for Darlington, Cartersville, Calhoun. McClellan
Georgia Middle School Athletic Association: Second round playoff pairings for Saturday at Berry College’s Valhalla Stadium. Sixth Grade Creekview at Rome, noon; seventh Grade River Ridge at Rome, 2 p.m.; eighth grade Rome at Centennial.
This week’s games: Bring coats; it will be chilly Friday night.
- Chattooga (7-2, 5-1) at Pepperell (6-3, 5-1)
- Coosa (3-6, 3-3) at Gordon Central (3-6, 2-4)
- Whitefield Academy (6-3) at Darlington (7-2)
- Class 2A Number 2 Rockmart (9-0, 6-0) at Model (2-7, 2-4)
- Armuchee (1-8, 0-5) at Dade County (1-8, 0-5)
- Unity Christian School (5-4) at Peachtree Academy (9-0)
- Class 4A Number 3 Troup (9-0, 5-0) at Class 4A Number 5 Cartersville (9-0, 5-0)
- Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (7-2, 6-1) at Class 3A Number 1 Calhoun (9-0, 7-0)
- Cedartown (4-5, 2-3) at Chapel Hill (6-3, 2-3)
- Pinecrest Academy (4-5) at Trion (6-3)
- North Murray (5-4, 4-3) at Sonoraville (4-5, 3-4)
- Woodland (4-5, 2-5) at Class 5A Number 10 Kell (7-2, 5-2)
- Paulding County (0-9, 0-7) at Cass (1-8, 0-7)
- Georgia School for the Deaf (2-4) at Carolina Schools for the Deaf (1-2) (Saturday)
- Off this week: Class 5A Number 1 Rome.
- Completed season: Adairsville.
High school state volleyball playoffs.
Class AA: Coosa vs. Elite Scholars Academy. 1:30 p.m. at McEachern High School.
Berry: Off Saturday. Next: Nov. 10 at Trinity University, 2 p.m. Schedule
Georgia Highlands Chargers no. 22 in preseason NJCAA D1 basketball poll: NJCAA
The Berry College Athletics Department plans Vikings Winter Media Days schedule for the sports of men’s and women’s basketball and swimming & diving. The interviews will feature coaches and student-athletes from Berry’s winter sports teams. Spring sports will be conducted prior to the start of their seasons. The Vikings Winter Media Days will be conducted once again on Facebook live on the Berry Athletics Facebook page. To tune in, fans will simply go to the Berry Athletics Facebook page at the time the interview is set to go live. Viewers will then be able to comment directly on the video with questions, which will be relayed to the coaches and athletes throughout the segment. Fans are encouraged to use the hashtag #BCMD18. The full schedule can be found below:
- Wednesday, Oct. 31 | Women’s Basketball (Coach Johnson & Alex Weems)
- Today at 1:30 p.m. | Men’s Basketball (Coach Cole & Elijah Hirsh)
- Wednesday, Nov. 7 – 11 a.m.| Swimming & Diving (Coach Flinchbaugh, Berkeley Hawks & Dylan White)
Harbin Clinic Turkey Trot 5K and Health Wobble benefiting United Way of Bartow County is Saturday, Nov. 17. The long-running event adds Harbin Clinic as the title sponsor this year but keeps the same great course encircling Sam Smith Park and also serves as a qualifier for the Peachtree Road Race. Along with the 5K race, which starts at 9 a.m., the event will have a pre-race costume contest and a two-mile health wobble. The wobble is a two-mile, non-timed walk. “Harbin Clinic is excited to become a part of this Cartersville tradition and be able to help put a focus on health and wellness in Bartow County while also supporting the many great things the Bartow County United Way does in the community,” Harbin Clinic CEO Kenna Stock says. Wire2Wire Running will provide timing and results. Registration for the 5K is $25 and $20 for the health wobble, and people can sign up at Active.com. To guarantee T-shirt size, participants need to be registered by Sunday, Nov. 11. Race-day registration for the 5K is $35 and $25 for the wobble. Packet pick up will be on Friday, Nov. 16, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the lobby of the United Way, 320 W. Cherokee Ave. Register for the Race