Weekly soccer update: The YMCA Arsenal Rome Select soccer teams were led by the U19 boy’s (2000 birthdays) 2 strong wins and posted a 5-5-1 record to make it 21 wins, 25 losses, and 8 ties for the season.
- The B’00 I-B came away with a 5-1 win vs Augusta Arsenal on Saturday. There was no score in the 1st half as both teams were feeling each other out. But Rome regrouped and came back in attack mode. Eduardo Zavala started it out with a goal assisted by Arturo Leon. Arturo, not to be outdone by Lalo, got one shortly after. Augusta got lucky on a PK, but Rome was having none of it and came back with a beautiful curved shot by Ramiro Alanis with an assist by Carlos Jimenez. Alex Cornejo picked up a goal on a deflected post shot, and Arturo finished it off for the victory. On Sunday Arsenal issued a beat down on SAF Elite with an 8-1 victory in a very physical game. Zavala got an early goal on a PK followed shortly by another PK converted by Alanis. Jimenez scored with a breakaway down the field and Cornejo tapped one in off an assist by Leon. SAF got one past the goalie on a PK to finish out the 1st half. Arsenal came back in the second with a vengeance and broke down SAF with a screaming goal by Abdias Perez off an assist from Cornejo, a second goal by Lalo, a chipped shot by Arturo, and the final goal from Christian Fonseca. Their 4 wins and a tie have them in 1st place. They return to action 10/13 hosting 3rd place MOBA who have division scoring leader Alex Winters with 9 goals. Leon is 2nd with 8. Lalo is 3rd with 7.
- The B’03 I beat Savannah United 1-0 and host NASA Elite Milton next weekend. Their 2-1-1 record has them in 4th place.
- The B’03 III-North lost to Mountain United 5-0.
- The B’04 II-B beat Concorde Fire North Black 6-4.
- The B’05 I lost to Alianza Elite 2-0.
- The B’06 III-Yellow lost to 1st place CFA Rome 11-2 on Saturday and 2nd place UFA Mountains Black in Dawsonville 6-2 on Sunday. Matteo Trujillo got all 4 goals. That dropped them to 3rd place with a 3-2-1 record.
- The G’06 C-W tied SSA Chelsea Blue 1-1 Saturday and lost to Tophat White 4-3. Their 2-2-2 record has them in 2nd place.
- The G’04 C-Red topped Tophat White 4-2 on Saturday at Grizzard Park. Malone Christen started the scoring early in the 1st half off an assist from Alexis Medrano. Joey Kunczewksi netted the 2nd goal moments later, staking Arsenal to a 2-0 halftime lead. Tophat scored early in the 2nd half, cutting the lead to 2-1; but Arsenal responded with 2 goals, both from Kunczewski, giving her a hat trick. Tophat scored one more goal in the final minute making the final 4-2. Sophie Gaither recorded five saves in goal. The win moves Arsenal to 3-0 on the season and tied for 1st place. They return to action 10/14 at Grizzard Park against seventh-placed Henry County United. Christen currently leads the division with four goals.
- The YMCA Rome Arsenal Academy teams hosted a few teams from Chattanooga Saturday and travel to play Dalton’s Lady Belles Sunday. The posted 3 wins and 6 losses to give them a season record of 20-20-3. They are on break next weekend and return to host Smyrna on 10/13 and Cherokee that Sunday.
- The B’09 shutout Chattanooga Brainerd Saturday. They tallied 3 goals in the 1st 5 minutes from Bryant Abney, Henry Rodriguez, and Spencer Baker. AG Edwards put one in the net with no problem and a goal from Junior Ambrocia slipped in the net before the half. Arsenal came out screaming in the 2nd half with a 2nd goal by Baker. Just a minute later Saul Valerio shot one in. Henry picked up a 2nd goal and Landon Thomason, a defender, made a full field run to score, finishing the game with a 9-0 victory.
- The G’10 lost to Chattanooga FC 7-5 with goals from Melanie Hernandez and Dalton’s Lady Belles 7-3 with goals from Emma Barron and Sophie Studdard.
- The G’09 lost to Chattanooga FCA Elite 6-2 and beat CFCA Premier 3-2. On Sunday they beat Dalton’s Lady Belles 10-2.
- The G’08 lost to Gadsden 2-0.
- The G’07 lost to Gadsden 2-0 and Dalton’s Lady Belles 2-0.
- Compiled by Roy Dickinson
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
2018 high school football season. High School 2018.
Hancock Earns Second SAA Offensive Player of the Week Nod (FULL RELEASE)
Berry’s Emily Hancock led the Berry College volleyball team to yet another undefeated weekend of play, earning her second Southern Athletic Association (SAA) Volleyball Offensive Player of the Week honor of the year. The junior outside hitter recorded two double-doubles as the Vikings improved to 11-2 overall and 7-0 in league play. Berry has now won 24-straight regular-season matches against SAA opponents.
Oakes Career Day Earns SAA Defensive Player of the Week Honor (FULL RELEASE)
After leading the Berry College men’s soccer team to a scoreless draw at Centre, goalkeeper Carson Oakes has been named the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) Defensive Player of the Week, the league announced on Monday. Oakes recorded the full 110:00 minutes in the double-overtime contest, recording a career-high 11 saves to preserve the shutout.
Berry Football: Berry will host Sewanee, 6 p.m., Saturday. Schedule
‘The Justus League:’ The Vikings’ Justus Edwards, who was seriously injured in a game Sept. 22, continues to recover from a very serious injury. An online fund established last week to help his family with related costs during his recovery had a target of $2,500. As of this morning, $19,000 had been donated. How to help