Education: Floyd County students participate in Cardboard Boat Challenge. Gordon and Calhoun students participate in Sources of Strength Training.

Education: Floyd County students participate in Cardboard Boat Challenge. Gordon and Calhoun students participate in Sources of Strength Training.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Fifth grade students from every Floyd County elementary school participated in the 1st annual Cardboard Boat Challenge at Georgia Highlands College on Friday. The event was put together by the Instructional Technology Department of Floyd County Schools. Nathan Medley, the Boat Challenge organizer, put forth a challenge to all 5th graders at each elementary school to build a boat with nothing but cardboard and duct tape. This is a STEM challenge that has been done many times before, but Medley wanted Floyd County’s students to have the opportunity to participate.
“With the number of growing jobs in the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math fields, (STEM) I feel like our students in Floyd County need to be prepared for those types of jobs. Problem-solving skills are at the heart of STEM challenges. What better way for students to work together to complete a project that allows them to see if their ideas will work than to build a cardboard boat, take it out on a hot day, and see if it will float,” says Medley.

The challenge was to be able to paddle it 50 yards. About 20% of the boats made it the whole 50 yards. Even though the other 80% did not make it, the students enjoyed the project and didn’t mind falling in the lake on such a hot day. GHC, who was host to the event, also provided STEM and science activities for the students to do. The students were able to dissect frogs and sharks, learn about different bones of wildlife, play with Sphero robots, and much more.


Middle and high school students from Gordon County and Calhoun City Schools participated in a Sources of Strength training earlier this month. Sources of Strength is a nationally recognized, evidence-based, youth lead program developed to prevent suicide, violence bullying, and substance abuse.  The SOS training was sponsored by Ester Lopez from The Council on Alcohol and Drugs through grant funds.  The training included information from the Empower Youth Program and a review of Sources of Strength fundamentals. Students were challenged to return to their home schools and spread positive messages of Hope, Health, and Strength.  Program advisors include: Amanda Schutz, Holly Watts, and Franco Perkins from Calhoun Middle and High; Sherry Sullivan, Lori Todd and Heidi Weaver from Gordon Central High; Jessica Gaither from Ashworth Middle School; Daniel Bennett from Red Bud Middle; and Erin Richardson from Sonoraville High School.


 

Share Button

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.