Florence/local sports. From Berry College: “Because of the impending threat from Hurricane Florence, the Berry College men’s soccer team has announced cancellations for this weekend’s contests at Randolph and Lynchburg. Berry’s next game is set for Sept. 21 at home as the Vikings take on Southern Athletic Association rival, Sewanee at 7:30 p.m.
UGA-Middle Tennessee football game moved to noon Saturday. “After extensive evaluation involving the uncertainty of weather conditions on the east coast, and consideration of all constituencies involved including fans, support staff, and law enforcement, the Saturday Georgia-Middle Tennessee State game has been moved from 7:15 p.m. to a 12 noon kickoff in Sanford Stadium. The game will be televised on ESPN News and will stream live on the ESPN app. The University of Georgia encourages fans to support disaster relief efforts through the Red Cross by texting “REDCROSS’ to 90999 to donate $10 from your phone.”
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
On Friday, GPB Sports will begin its live television coverage with the Carrollton Trojans vs. Rome Wolves at Barron Stadium. Each week, fans can enjoy the “All-Access Pass” show starting at 7 p.m., followed by “Football Fridays in Georgia” at 7:30 p.m. Coverage will continue throughout the season with the 2018 GHSA Playoff Games and the GHSA State Championships live from Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
John McClellan picks for 15 high school games this weekend: Rome by 21 over Carrollton; big wins by Darlington, Pepperell, Cartersville and Rockmart. McClellan
This week’s games; constant score updates here on Friday night:
- Class 5A Number 4 Carrollton (3-0, 1-0) at Class 5A Number 1 Rome (3-0, 1-0). Radio: 99.5 FM The Jock. TV: GPB, 7:30 p.m.
- Armuchee (1-2, 0-0) at Class 2A Number 5 Rockmart (3-0, 0-0)
- Chattooga (2-1, 0-0) at Coosa (0-3, 0-0)
- Pepperell (1-2, 0-0) at Gordon Central (1-2, 0-0)
- Gordon Lee (1-2, 0-0) at Class A Private Number 4 Darlington (3-0, 0-0)
- Dade County (0-3, 0-0) at Model (0-3, 0-0)
- Unity Christian School (2-1) at Peachtree Academy (4-0)
- Cherokee (2-2) at Class 4A Number 3 Cartersville (3-0)
- Cass (1-2, 0-1) at Villa Rica (1-2, 0-1)
- Paulding County (0-3, 0-1) at Woodland (3-0, 1-0)
- Adairsville (2-1, 1-0) at Haralson County (2-0, 0-0)
- Class 3A Number 1 Calhoun (3-0, 1-0) at North Murray (2-1, 1-0)
- Class A Number 9 Trion (3-0, 0-0) at North Cobb Christian (3-0, 0-0)
- Southeast Whitfield (2-1) at Cedartown (1-2)
- Mississippi School for the Deaf (0-0) at Georgia School for the Deaf (0-1) (Saturday)
- Off: Sonoraville (1-2)
2018 high school football season. High School 2018.
Atlanta Falcons host Carolina, 1 p.m. Sunday. Fox. Schedule
Mills Fitzner’s photos from the past 10 seasons, including 2018. We thank Mills Fitzner for another great season of game and fan highlights from State Mutual Stadium — and a few road games as well.Click photo gallery.
that is presented by GoGo Running includes a Half Marathon Relay and a 5- kilometer race. The Rome Half will once again benefit area middle and high school running
programs with some of the proceeds benefiting Rome teen runner Jamie Hughes and his family as a determined Jamie fights Osteosarcoma, a very rare but aggressive bone cancer that attacks children in their growth spurts. All of the races start and end at State Mutual Stadium, with the 5k starting at 8 a.m. and the Half Marathon and Relay starting at 8:05. Half Marathon, Relay, and 5k Finishers receive long sleeve tech T’s, and will enjoy a post-race pancake breakfast provided by the Rome Braves. The area’s high school teams and athletes will be honored the night before at the 2018 GoGo Running All-Area Cross Country Banquet that will be held Friday, Dec. 7. For more: www.romehalf.com or contact GoGo Running at The Shoe Box at 706-291-0752.