The Rome Wolves and Calhoun Yellow Jackets still are Number 1 in their respective classifications following a big weekend of high school football in Northwest Georgia. The Rockmart Yellow Jackets dominated Heard County, and Cartersville and Trion also racked up large margin victories to stay unbeaten for the year.
The statewide televised game between Rome and Carrollton at Barron Stadium highlights the upcoming weekend of play (GPB, 7:30 p.m. Friday). In addition, the eight teams in Region 7-AA begin league play this Friday with region action also getting underway for the remaining teams in Region 6-A.
Class AAAAA Number 4 Carrollton (3-0, 1-0) at Class AAAAA Number 1 Rome (3-0, 1-0)
- Series History: Tied 2-2
- Last Meeting: Rome defeated Carrollton 45-24 on September 29, 2017
- The Carrollton Trojans were late getting started Friday night after a storm hit shortly before kickoff, but it didn’t slow them down in a 52-3 win over Villa Rica. The Rome Wolves scored on their first play from scrimmage and had to sit through an hour plus lightning delay at halftime before winning their 30th straight game 35-6 over seventh-ranked Kell. Rome wins by 21.
Armuchee (1-2, 0-0) at Class AA Number 5 Rockmart (3-0, 0-0)
- Series History: Rockmart l2-2
- Last Meeting: Rockmart defeated Armuchee 56-21 on September 15, 2017
- The Armuchee Indians, who won their season opener three weeks ago over Murray County, fell to 1-2 following a 48-13 loss to Trion. The Rockmart Yellow Jackets jumped out to a 33-0 win over Heard County before lightning struck at halftime and Heard County elected to let that score standas the game’s final score. Rockmart wins by more than 30.
Chattooga (2-1, 0-0) at Coosa (0-3, 0-0)
- Series History: Chattooga leads 16-14
- Last Meeting Coosa defeated Chattooga 38-37 on September 15, 2017
- The Chattooga Indians, who were off Friday night, still are undefeated in 2018 after a win in their last outing 55-20 over Heritage. The Coosa Eagles, who also were idle Friday night, lost two weeks ago 42-16 to Mt. Zion to remain winless against three teams who all are undefeated so far this season. Chattooga wins by 6.
Pepperell (1-2, 0-0) at Gordon Central (1-2, 0-0)
- Series History: Pepperell leads 4-0
- Last Meeting: Pepperell defeated Gordon Central 43-0 on September 15, 2017
- The Pepperell Dragons, who started the season with two straight losses, got in the win column Friday night with a 31-17 win over Heritage. The Gordon Central Warriors, who are coming off an open date, are 1-2 after winning their first game two weeks ago 44-15 over Gilmer. Pepperell wins by more than 30.
Gordon Lee (1-2, 0-0) at Class A Private Number 4 Darlington (3-0, 0-0)
- Series History: Darlington leads 15-1
- Last Meeting: Darlington defeated Gordon Lee 50-17 on September 15, 2017
- The Gordon Lee Trojans, who were off Friday night, are coming off consecutive shutout losses of 42-0 to Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe and LaFayette 35-0. The Darlington Tigers, who also had a bye week, remained unbeaten two weeks ago with a 20-0 shutout of Sonoraville. Darlington wins by more than 30.
Dade County (0-3, 0-0) at Model (0-3, 0-0)
- Series History: Model leads 15-9
- Last Meeting: Dade County defeated Model 28-21 on September 15, 2017
- The Dade County Wolverines, who remained winless two weeks ago after a 21-0 shutout loss to Trion, were off Friday night. The Model Blue Devils, who also had an open date Friday night, dropped to 0-3 two weeks ago following a 44-7 loss to North Murray. Dade County wins by 2.
Unity Christian School (2-1) at Peachtree Academy (4-0)
- Series History: Tied 1-1
- Last Meeting: UCS defeated Peachtree 56-14 on September 29, 2017
- The UCS Lions turned in their best offensive effort of the season in a 52-17 Region 2 win over Horizon Christian Academy. The Peachtree Academy Panthersremained unbeaten following a 46-6 defeat of Praise Academy. Unity Christian School wins by 14.
Cherokee (2-2) at Class AAAA Number 3 Cartersville (3-0)
- Series History: Cartersville leads 5-2-1
- Last Meeting: The two teams tied 0-0 on November 5, 1971
- The Cherokee Warriors, who will be playing the fifth game of their 2017 season, evened their record at 2-2 with a 38-37 win over Kennesaw Mountain. The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes continued their dominance with a 70-0 shutout win over McNair. Cartersville wins by more than 30.
Cass (1-2, 0-1) at Villa Rica (1-2, 0-1)
- Series History: Villa Rica leads 9-3
- Last Meeting: Villa Rica defeated Cass 42-7 on October 27, 2017
- The Cass Colonels dropped to 0-1 in Region 7-AAAAA after a 17-7 loss to cross-county rival Woodland. The Villa Rica Wildcats had a tough night on the road against their cross-county rival in a 52-3 loss to Carrollton. Villa Rica wins by 13.
Paulding County (0-3, 0-1) at Woodland (3-0, 1-0)
- Series History: Paulding County leads 8-4
- Last Meeting: Paulding County defeated Woodland 35-34 on October 16, 2017
- The Paulding County Patriots led in the second half before going down to a narrow 21-17 defeat to Hiram. The Woodland Wildcats are off to a surprising 3-0 start following a 17-7 win over Cass. The Wildcats last started a season with four wins in 2000. Woodland wins by 1.
Adairsville (2-1, 1-0) at Haralson County (2-0, 0-0)
- Series History: Adairsville leads 5-1
- Last Meeting: Adairsville defeated Haralson County 32-0 on October 27, 2017
- The Adairsville Tigers dominated Coahulla Creek 41-10 to get off a 2-1 start. The Haralson County Rebels, who were off Friday night, are 2-0 following wins of 35-7 over Gordon Central and 35-0 over Armuchee. Adairsville wins by 14.
Class AAA Number 1 Calhoun (3-0, 1-0) at North Murray (2-1, 1-0)
- Series History: Calhoun leads 6-0
- Last Meeting: Calhoun defeated North Murray 40-13 on September 22, 2017
- The Calhoun Yellow Jackets continued their unbeaten season with a 38-0 shutout of Sonoraville. The North Murray Mountaineers upset Ringgold 14-7 to get off to a 1-0 start in Region 6-AAA play. Calhoun wins by 29.
Class A Number 9 Trion (3-0, 0-0) at North Cobb Christian (3-0, 0-0)
- Series History: Trion leads 2-0
- Last Meeting: Trion defeated North Cobb Christian 31-6 on September 22, 2017
- The Trion Bulldogs are off to a start of 3-0 following a 48-13 win on Friday night over Armuchee. The North Cobb Christian Eagles defeated Monticello 27-23 Friday night to get off to the best start in the history of the program. Trion wins by 17.
Southeast Whitfield (2-1) at Cedartown (1-2)
- Series History: Cedartown leads 13-2
- Last Meeting: Cedartown defeated Southeast Whitfield 42-28 on September 27, 2013
- The Southeast Whitfield Raiders, who were off Friday night, are 2-1 after a 9-6 win two weeks ago in overtime over Coahulla Creek. The Cedartown Bulldogs struggled offensively Friday night in a 13-9 loss at home to Class AA Number 4 Bremen. Cedartown wins by more than 30.
Mississippi School for the Deaf (0-0) at Georgia School for the Deaf (0-1) (Saturday)
- Last Meeting: MSD defeated GSD 56-6 on October 7, 2017
- The MSD Bulldogs still are looking to play their first game after Tropical Storm Gordon forced the postponement of their scheduled season opener at Louisiana School for the Deaf. The GSD Tigers have been off two straight weeks since their 38-0 loss to Louisiana School for the Deaf in their August 25 season debut. Mississippi School for the Deaf wins by 24.
OFF—Sonoraville (1-2 after losing to Calhoun 38-0)
In other games involving schools in regions in Northwest Georgia:
- North Paulding (3-0) over Woodstock (1-2) by 4
- Douglas County (2-1, 1-0) over South Paulding (0-3, 0-1) by 30
- Class AAAAAA Number 4 Creekview (4-0, 2-0) over Dalton (2-1, 0-1) by 10
- Class AAAAA Number 7 Kell (2-1, 0-1) over East Paulding (0-2, 0-0) by 10
- Heard County (1-2) over Central of Carrollton (1-2) by 18
- Chapel Hill (3-0) over Whitewater (0-3) by 9
- Sandy Creek (2-1) over Starr’s Mill (1-2) by 3
- Class AAAA Number 6 Troup County (3-0) over Class AA Number 2 Callaway (3-0) by 18
- Northwest Whitfield (2-1) over Temple (1-2) by 15
- Pickens (3-0) over Chamblee (0-3) by more than 30
- Murray County (0-3, 0-1) over Coahulla Creek (0-3, 0-1) by 18
- Ringgold (1-2, 0-1) over Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (2-1, 1-0) by 18
- Class A Public Number 3 Mt. Zion (3-0, 0-0) over Christian Heritage (3-0, 0-0) by more than 30
- Stratford Academy (1-2) over Class A Private Number 10 Fellowship Christian (3-0) by 3
- Class A Private Number 8 Mt. Paran Christian (1-1, 0-0) over King’s Ridge Christian (0-2, 0-0) by more than 30
- Whitefield Academy (2-1, 1-0) over Pinecrest Academy (1-2, 0-1) by 12.