Buzz: MarsFest coming to Tellus on July 28. Honors for Darlington’s Yearbook. Polk County’s Homespun Festival return July 20-21 in Rockmart.

MarsFest coming to Tellus Science Museum: On Saturday, July 28, Mars will be at opposition, meaning the red planet and the Sun will be on directly opposite sides of the Earth. This will be just a few days before Mars is closest to Earth in its orbit at a distance of only 35.9 million miles. With this close approach and opposition occurring within a few days of each other, Mars will appear brighter than Jupiter and almost as bright as Venus.

To celebrate this celestial event, Tellus is planning a day full of solar system fun! In the Great Hall, we will be building human solar system models to learn about orbits and exoplanets. Pick up an exoplanet star chart, decorate a special viewer, and see if you can spot the stars that have exoplanets. Join in a game of Stellar Bingo for a chance to win a prize!

The Bentley Planetarium will have a special lineup of shows all relating to planets and solar systems. In the Theater, catch a showing of the classic Disneyland episode “Mars and Beyond”. At 2 p.m., join Tellus Astronomer David Dundee as he discusses what we know about Mars, the possibility of life there, and what the future may hold for human travel to the red planet. Event is included with admission or free for members.

The 2018 Jabberwokk Yearbook staff has received an All-American rating with four Marks of Distinction from the National Student Press Association (NSPA). They had an increase of 25 points from last year’s score.

The 41st annual Polk County Homespun Festival returns July 20-21 in Rockmart. Local and regional crafters display their wares throughout the park at this annual event sponsored by the Polk County Chamber of Commerce. Continuous entertainment is a highlight of the festival as well as great food and many games and events throughout the park. This event draws around 8,000 people. The Homespun 5K will be at 8 a.m. Saturday with Fun Run following at 9 a.m. Fireworks will be Saturday night. Details

Share Button

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.